Friday, May 16, 2014

The Daily Scoop

Even though the peninsula that contains Clearwater and St. Petersburg is laid out like a grid, I still get lost on it. A lot. Something about all that blurry Pinellas Park-Largo-Lealman area in the middle disorients me. The other day I was on a run to one of my new favorite tobacconists, St. Pete Cigar, took a wrong turn somewhere and wound up in Kenneth City.

I spied a closed-down ice cream shack called The Daily Scoop, and pulled over to inspect its carcass. I was particularly intrigued by the fact that it had an enormous replica of the top of an ice cream cone sticking out from its roof. It looked familiar, I thought to myself.

Could it be?

It was. I peered in through the windows and saw that some clever human took a pre-existing Twistee Treat cone-shaped stand and built a restaurant around it while leaving the cone-building completely intact inside. If you look close (it was hard to take pics through the glass because of the sun's glare and reflection) you can see they even left the words "Twistee Treat" on the interior cone's facade.

My first thought was elation at the idea that I could lease this place and actually run my very own Twistee Treat stand. However, Kenneth City is not exactly on my top 10 list of places to open a business. (Honestly, it isn't even in the top 100) and my entrepreneurial dance card is pretty well full these days anyway. But the cone is there, silently waiting. Will it be you who resurrects it?

1 comment:

  1. You need to buy it and have it moved to the beach. It's too cool for Kenneth City!

    ReplyDelete