Sunday, August 3, 2014

Thunderbird

Treasure Island's Thunderbird Resort was really something back in the glorious days of Exotica, and we should all be damn glad it still carries that tattered flag of 1957 into the 21st century.

Of course, once you get back behind the immense monolithic slab of its facade, you realize the place is really just another motel. But that's okay.

Then again, they do have a top-notch restaurant, called Feola's. I had a Philly Cheesesteak that was so big, they had to cut it in half to fit it on the plate. And dee-lish. The two cocktails I imbibed - a Blue Hawaiian and a Rum Punch - were worth coming out here again for. Especially at times when my regular Blue Hawaiian pit stop, O'Maddy's in Gulfport, is lined out the door with inebriants who had the foresight to get to Happy Hour early.

When I was passing through the courtyard, a fun lady named Fiona was playing electric ukelele (accompanied by a drum machine and effects) and singing Edie Brickell's "What I Am". There's a second bar out on this courtyard, a little tiki shack called Ikky Woowoo's, which is probably where I really shoulda gotten the drinks. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment