Saturday, July 5, 2014

Royale Redux

Whether it's a TV show, a restaurant, or a cigar, there's nothing suckier than when something you love jumps the shark after making unnecessary changes. There is no persistence without consistency, and despite Emerson's oft-misquoted bit about consistency and hobgoblins, in the world of commerce you need to make sure your product isn't given to mutation. Starbucks and I had a falling-out a few years back when they completely bastardized the formula for the Frappucino and had the gall to present the new mess to the public as an "improvement". (Fortunately, I subsequently became seduced by the mermaid's siren song again after switching to their caramel iced coffee.)

So when a brand-new box of my formerly favorite cigar, Rocky Patel Royale, showed up on the shelf at La Habana Cigar Club in Pasadena, I was horrified to find it has transmogrified into a completely different cigar altogether. It's made in a different, slightly larger, box press than before. It has a different, darker wrapper. It's firmer and more brittle. And the taste is not the same at all; it's more akin to the somewhat dirtier taste of Rocky's Olde World Reserve, which I regard as not his finest hour but will often turn to in a pinch when I don't feel like experimenting and I can't get a Royale or a XEN. (The Olde World Reserve does have a perfect draw, in part because it's made on the same style of box press as the aforementioned two others.)

I gave the new "improved" Royale two chances. I no longer love it. My favorite cigar is dead. That's a drag. Thank goodness the boys at Central Cigars in St. Petersburg still have a supply of the old-formula Royales, and I will continue to nab them until there's none left to nab. I feel bad now, because La Habana had stocked the Royales at my urging.

On the other hand, life moves pretty fast in Interzone and I've already got a new girlfriend - the clunkily-named but delicious Casa Magna D. Magnus II Limitada. (On the other other hand, it's fifteen bucks a stick. But I figure I'm worth it.)

2 comments:

  1. After doing some online research, I got my first electronic cigarette kit from VaporFi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete