Sunday, November 3, 2013

Donut Kingdom

Florida's such a honkin' huge state that declaring a "best donut in Florida" would be an exercise in futility for me and frustration for the reader. Though I am perpetually on-the-go through rain and storm and city and swamp in our fair state, not everyone is so autonomous. To people in Pensacola, Key West is probably as distant and alien a concept as it is to your aunt in Wooster. (Seriously. I know people in Bradenton who are perfectly sane and perfectly healthy yet have never ventured farther south of their hometown than Sarasota.)

Given, then, that Meaney's Mini Donuts on Siesta Key probably takes my prize for best donuts on the Gulf Coast, let's assign the title of "best donuts in North Florida" to Tallahassee's Donut Kingdom. For now.

I recommend their Red Velvet Cake donut, which was so third-eye-opening I forgot to take a picture of it. It is, in fact, for this singular product alone that they qualify for my fave pastry north of New Port Richey. Ain't nothin' greater. Or is there? Email me and tell me!

And by the way, what's up with the proliferation of businesses with "kingdom" in their name? Donut Kingdom, Tire Kingdom, Laundry Kingdom... Is this some shibboleth I'm not hip to?

No comments:

Post a Comment